A HUGE thank you to Sole Sisters Leader Liz (pictured here among a group of volunteers)! She rallied 40 Sole Sisters to volunteer at the recent IRONMAN event. Not only did she have to manage “us” but also any volunteers stationed at Run Station #1! This prestigious event, presents honorariums to those that volunteer in mass numbers. As a results of Liz’s enthusiasm and motivation… and her team of 40 volunteers, Sole Sisters will receive $1000… which in turn we donate to our Cub.
One BIG SHOUT OUT… to all of the sisters who pledged my efforts, bounced up and down 80’s style (YES, that aerobics class raised $354 + $387 in the silent auction totaling $741 in an hour!!) HUGE THANK YOU… Together we raised over $2200 to support the Victoria Sexual Assault Centre!
Sole Sisters are pretty SPECIAL!!
Special thanks to St. Joseph’s School for the use of the gym, Tillicum Centre Starbucks for our “rewards” special sole sisters that helped organize (Lois my mom, Margot, Tracey, Liz, Susan) and donors to our silent auction: Sole Sisters, PowerWest, Margot’s Tupperware, Gillian’s Jewellery, Suzanne’s stamping creations, Connie Dunwoody and Epicure, Lois and her sewing and craft creations, Kara at Burnside Road Massage Therapy, Brenda’s Tupperware, Coaching sessions with Tracey Gibson, Krissy Wright and personal training, Asmeret and the Blue Nile Restaurant, Michelle Combdon, Out of the Blue, and Tillicum Centre Starbucks.
Welcome! Click on the Sole Sisters stepping stone above.
You can register online at http://www.solesistersvictoria.com/sole-sister-2015-registration/.
WHY ADD POLES? With walking or running you are effectively using 40-50% of the body’s muscles. Using poles creates resistance for the upper body so that you use 90% of the body’s muscles.
BENEFITS of NORDIC STYLE POLE WALKING
1. Strengthens upper body muscles, especially posture muscles.
2. De-stresses neck and shoulder muscles.
3. Takes up to 30% pressure off feet, knees and hip joints.
4. Creates oblique muscles of steel, supporting lower back, and trimming waist.
5. Stimulates 90% of mitochondria cells revving up energy and health at the cellular level.
6. Requires cardiovascular system to expand network of capillaries.
7. Easily raises heart rate to 130bpm…the walk & talk/fat burning zone.
8. Although it is a bigger muscular workout than running, it always feels easy/doable.
NORDIC POLE WALKING IS FOR YOU IF…
1. You want an exercise that is very effective, but doesn’t feel “hard”.
2. Want a total body workout
3. Have sore feet, knees, or hip joints.
4. You want to trim and tone upper body and waist.
5. Your neck and shoulders are tense, sore, or stressed.
6. Time is at a premium: 30 minutes of pole walking equals the calorie burn of 55 minutes of plain walking.
7. You want to compete in events from 5km to ½ marathon.
8. You want to learn something new, an activity that you can do all your life.
9. You want a fun cross-training activity.
STEPS & REQUIREMENTS
1. You need to own your own poles. We recommend Nordixx brand 3-section poles because of its superior detachable “glove” strap that makes learning easy, (and their ability to fit into a suitcase/backpack). Nordixx poles will be for sale at the Sole Sisters clinic nights for $79.95 plus tax ($91). However, if you already have poles, feel free to bring and use them.
2. Nordic style pole walking takes about two to four weeks to reach an effective skill level. Olympian and Nordixx Canada Master instructor Linda Schaumleffel, (and Sole Sister and Nordixx Canada Certified Instructor Pixcel Smith will be teaching pole walkers the skill at the Sole Sisters clinics) for the first month, then available for spot coaching.
3. The pole walkers will be following the same warm-up and 5km/10km training program as the other participants at Sole Sisters, and will be participating in the same events.
Please contact Master Nordixx Instructor, Linda Schaumleffel at Linda4success@shaw.ca, for more information.
The 2014 Sole Sisters Clinic will run (and walk!) for 14 weeks for the main camp ending in time for the TC 10k event in late April and 19 weeks for the extended camp in preparation for the 3rd annual Goddess Event in which we are a HUGE supporter of happening on the first Sunday in Jun.
All the regstration information for the Sequel has been updated.
Please go to the 2013 Program page for information – [click here]
Or straight to the Storefront to Register online – [click here]
For a paper form (to mail in) please [click here]
Please go to our programs tab for information on the Sequel Program which will start on June 18th, 2013
Click here – 2013 Sole Sister Sequel
For all of you walking or running the TC 10k tomorrow …get a good nights sleep and we will see you tomorrow morning 🙂