It only seemed natural for me to find a way to keep women active!
I have lived an active life, instructed thousands of women (and men) in traditional fitness classes over the last 20+ years… and now have the privilege and honor of keeping women moving forward from ‘Soul to Sole’!
I have had the opportunity to work in many different areas of health and wellness including municipal recreation, private industry, educational institutions and operating my own business. Presently I continue to work in the role as a Community Recreation Programmer with the District of Saanich and operate my business PowerWest Athletics which includes working with hockey players on the ice of all ages instructing power skating and my greatest joy of all which shines with pride and passion through my Sole Sisters Victoria program….www.solesistersvictoria.com.
MUNICIPALITY OF SAANICH
I have worked with the Department of Parks and Recreation since 1987.
Presently I hold the position of Community Programmer in which I facilitate programs that ensure there are no barriers to activity due to financial constraints; LIFE (Leisure Involvement for Everyone) and The Canadian Tire Jumpstart Program ~ keeping kids active! I work with many families directly experiencing a financial challenge. This year I have introduced the Canadian Tire Jumpstart Academy to two local schools (including a group of ‘at risk’ kids in a middle school) bringing them NEW opportunities for after school hours and will expand to 2 additional school in September – hundreds of more active children!
Most recently I created a program called kidsFUNd, ensuring children remain socially engaged and physically active despite financial situations; another granting opportunity for families in need.
History…I created ‘Fitness’ at Pearkes Recreation Centre in 1991… which is now a fully fledged operating fitness facility. I was in the position of the Fitness Program Coordinator at Pearkes Recreation Centre – 1991-1997 and instructed many fitness classes and supervised the Weight Room Centre
I founded and created Sole Sisters officially as a program of my company, PowerWest Atheltics in 2007. After working with groups in walking and running for years previous, an obvious need and desire shone through for women. The program has grown from 70 women a year… to presently we have had over 400 women involved in walk and run programs in 2012. 2011 saw the completion of my first personal written Sole Sisters handbook an accumulation of years of training program experimentation, time and commitment. In 2012 I wrote the second edition. The Sole Sisters Manual is a 100+ page copyright document complete with testimonials, stories, inspirations and of course multiple programs for walkers and runners to complete the 10k distance. I am presently writing the next Sole Sisters Manual which will cover the ½ marathon distance… always keeping options in mind, safety in the forefront and a personal relationship as their coach as the priority.
As a proud BCRPA member I have made an ongoing personal commitment to training and to the betterment of our industry by assisting others with the completion of their certification process by performing ICE evaluations for them.
I am committed to maintaining high level of standards and expectations for those in a leadership role in my Sole Sisters programs providing them training opportunities, coaching and support throughout all Sole Sisters programs ensuring that leaders are feeling cared for supported and given the opportunity to develop.
Through Sole Sisters, I have 32 committed instructors in which I dedicate an annual 6 hour training day covering a wide variety of training areas to ensure safety, proper techniques, program development, camaraderie and FUN.
Sole Sisters is not just about the ‘sisters’ but we care for those near and dear to make it all happen! We have childminding services during our winter clinic for school nights when women need the childcare assistance in order to be there!
Sole Sisters has a Mini Soles program – a FREE opportunity to keep the younger souls in the home active!
Sole Sisters is only getting bigger… this year we added Spin Sisters and Brothers (hence my new certification of Indoor Cycling) and this summer we now have a weekly yoga program.
WHY IS SOLE SISTERS UNIQUE?
How did you continue to motivate hundreds of women through activity?
You make it FUN, you create environments they would normally not participate in on their own, you participate with them in fun adventures always thinking outside the ‘running shoe’… and most importantly you ensure each individual is smiling while doing it!
Sole Sisters meets on a weekly basis for ‘clinic’ night which has seen it all… from the amazing race, to the world’s highest mountain climb, to the dating game, to boot camp in my backyard…and much much more. In addition to clinic nights two homework sessions bring more women together each week to recreate!
There are no limits at Sole Sisters… where the word CAN is only ever heard!
TRAINING, CERTIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
UNIVERSITY OF VICTORIA
BSc. Major in Psychology, secondary studies in the school of Physical Education & Leisure Studies, Undergrad 1995, graduating with Distinction
Diploma in Public Sector UVic in Management partially completed…planning to return soon to complete my masters in the School of Exercise Physiology.
BRITISH COLUMBIA RECREATION & PARKS ASSOCIATION (BCRPA)
- Registered Member with BCRPA since 1992
- Registered & Certified Level IV Trainer of Trainers & Evaluator of Supervisors of Fitness Leaders & Weight Room Supervisors
- Certified Indoor Cycling Instructor, Dec. 2011
- Ongoing I commit to training workshops and seminars. In December 2011 I committed to acquiring my Indoor cycling Certification and enjoy teaching a weekly program.
- I also commit to enrolling in a variety of programs and courses through local college environments (i.e. PISE) and our annual Island Fitness Conference and most recently the BCRPA Conference.
- I commit to staying ‘fresh’ and with the ‘new’ to ensure the information I share is accurate and concise for my participants.
SKATE CANADA – my ‘other’ role as a coach leader is on the ice!
- Registered active Professional Figure Skating Coach 1991 to present
- Level 2 Certified National Level Figure Skating Coach
- Gold Level Test Skater
As of recent…
- In 2007 I created The Grizzlies Cub Fund, raising money to help families in our community living with a child who was fighting a life threatening illness and raised over $8,000 in the first year.
- Following our own son’s diagnosis of leukemia in 2009, TEAM JACK was formed and I went out to walk/run 3 marathons with hundreds of others to raise over $22,000 over 120 kilometers!
- In 2010 I created KidsRun Victoria, a 1k and 5k walk/run family festival to support our local pediatric oncology clinic and over the past 3 years we have raised over $50,000.
- The creation of Quarters for Cubs was added in 2008 to Sole Sisters to encourage every women to put a quarter away every time they went for a walk or a run… since it’s inception Quarters for Cubs as raised over $12,000 assisting 5 special children in our community while their families endure challenging moments of treatment protocols and financial strain.
- …raising close to $100,000 through a passion to be active, make a difference and move for those who are not able… I believe we CAN all make a difference…
ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Figure skating performer with Ice Capades North, American Tour 1990, 1991
- Active Fitness Leader on the TV Show Body Moves, 1992, 1993, 1994
- Amateur Coach of the Year 1988
- 1991-1998 – Coach/Leadership Recognition Awards through Victoria Figure Skating and Saanich Skating Clubs
- Black Ball’s “Local Women Making a Difference” Awards in their 30’s, 2009
- CHEK NEWS, Unsung Island Hero, May 2010
- 2010 iRun Magazine Award Winner for Inspiration
- Nominated Fitness Leader of the Year for BCRPA 2012
- Nominated Philanthropist of Community 2012
Outside of all of this… I am the ‘CEO’ of a busy household of 4 energetic young boys which include the role I am most proud of: MOM